Curtainup Founder & Editor Elyse Sommer's Epilogue -- I've passed the torch for reviewing and editing new theater productions on and off-Broadway and elsewhere. However, I'll continue to sound off here with my take on Live and Onscreen Entertainment. As for Curtainup's extensive content since 1996-- it's all sill available at www.curtainup.com

Friday, June 14, 2013

You don't have to like hip-hop to enjoy Venice



Venice
Venice - I've seen my share of Shakespeare plays at the Public Theater. But but never as a rap and hip hop driven musical. This very loose take on Othello now at the Public's Anspacher is a far cry from Liev Schreiber's riveting Iago also seen at the Public's Anspacher, though a dozen years ago. Like that production, this one will rank high on my list of most memorable shows. Eric Rosen's book locates his Othello-inspired characters in a war-torn Venice some time in the near future. Composer Matt Sax has managed to marry the pulsating beat of hip-hop, rock and quieter more traditional musical theater melodies plus his and Rosen's rap-infused lyrics had me rethink my lack of enthusiasm for hip-hop. . . . Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment